runner bean chutney
- 2 lbs runner beans
- 4 or 5 onions
- 1 ½ lbs demerara sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons english mustard powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornflour
- 1 ½ pints malt vinegar
- Peal onions and cut small.
- Slice beans and boil together with onions in salted water until both are tender.
- Strain and drain well then cut up small or put through mincer.
- Add sugar and 1¼ pints vinegar and boil for 15 minutes.
- Mix turmeric, mustard and cornflour with the remaining vinegar add to the bean & onions
- Boil for another 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and put into sterilised jars.
- Serve with cold meats or cheese. For the best flavour, allow to mature for at least 6 to 8 weeks before use.
- Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.